March 19, 2020
The Village of Sayward regretfully announces the resignation of Acting Mayor/Councillor Joyce Ellis effective March 19, 2020. In her resignation letter, Ellis cited personal circumstances, and a need to focus on family and health as her reasons for the resignation.
Councillor Ellis was first elected to Council in 2014 and has served 6 years in that position. She has been involved with a number of projects during her tenure including:
• The new DAF water treatment plant
• The Kelly’s bridge project in the Salmon River Estuary area
• The Age-Friendly community van acquisition to assist residents in getting to and from Campbell River
• Supporting the community’s efforts in securing a new library
• Enhancing and upgrading the municipal campground area and establishing the Working Waterfront trail
• The Newcastle Dam project
“Councillor Ellis has supported many community initiatives during her tenure with the Village of Sayward. She has served on the Boards of both the Vancouver Island Regional Library and the Sayward Community Health Society. She also attended Strathcona Regional District Board meetings in her role of Deputy Mayor. She continues to volunteer her time in Sayward including the Cops for Cancer Tour de Rock events, participating in many initiatives with the Tourism Committee, and contributing her time to Sayward Futures Society events. Joyce was a very valuable member of the Village of Sayward Council and she will be greatly missed”, CAO/CFO Lisa Clark said.
Village of Sayward