The Village of Sayward is closely monitoring the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation in British Columbia. Our top priority is the health, safety, and well-being of the public and our employees. We are focusing on maintaining essential services that our citizens rely upon.
The Village of Sayward continues to work with internal and external partners, including our local health authority, Island Health, on a proactive approach to deal with COVID-19.
PHO order on masks in public indoor settings
Starting August 25, 2021 masks are required in all public indoor settings for all people born in 2009 or earlier (12+).
- Malls, shopping centres
- Grocery and liquor stores
- Coffee shops
- On public transportation, in a taxi or ride-sharing vehicle
- Clothing and retail stores
- Areas of office buildings where services to the public are provided
- Common areas of sport and fitness centres when not engaged in physical activity
- Common areas of post-secondary institutions and non-profit organizations
- Inside schools for all K to 12 staff, visitors and students in grades 4 to 12
- Drug stores
- Community centres
- Recreation centres
- City Halls
- Restaurants, pubs and bars when not seated at a table
Note: The order will be reassessed when proof of vaccination and B.C.'s vaccine card are fully implemented.
There are exemptions for:
- People with health conditions or with physical, cognitive or mental impairments who cannot wear one
- People who cannot remove a mask on their own
- Children under the age of 12
- People who need to remove their masks to communicate due to another person's hearing impairment
A face shield is not a substitute for a mask as it has an opening below the mouth.
For further information about the Provincial Health Orders, please visit the BC Government website.